This, of course, is the inspiration for the titular house in Anne of Green Gables. In real life, this farm was the home of David Jr. and Margaret Macneill, who were cousins of Montgomery’s grandfather. The farm was first settled in 1831 by David Macneill Sr. Although Lucy never lived here, she grew up nearby with her grandparents. She came to know her cousins’ farm through her explorations of the surrounding woodlands and places she discovered and named, such as Lover’s Lane and the Haunted Wood.
Soon after Anne of Green Gables was published in 1908, people began coming to Cavendish in search of Green Gables, along with the other places and people of Avonlea in the novel. It became a part of Prince Edward Island National Park in 1937 and it was declared a National Historical Site in 1985.